These appetizers (or lunch!) won't weigh you down, have loads of different flavours and textures, and are loaded with protein (with both the chicken and chickpea version!). You can sub out the lettuce for corn or flour tortillas if you would prefer that.
Curried Chicken or Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
Makes: 12 servings of 1 wrap/serving // Gluten-Free, can be Dairy Free, Paleo, Vegan, Whole30
• 1/2 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt or Coconut Yogurt
• 1/4 cup light mayonnaise or vegenaise
• 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1 garlic clove
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup finely diced celery
• 1 Granny Smith apple
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 2 cups diced cooked chicken (or replace with 2 cups of chickpeas (1 19 ounce/540ml can) for a vegetarian version. Can do half and half of each to have both regular and vegetarian versions)
• 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
• 12 Bibb, Romaine or Butter lettuce leaves (about 1 head)
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. In a large bowl, combine Greek Yogurt or Coconut yogurt, mayonnaise or vegenaise, curry powder, minced garlic, and salt; mix well using a spoon.
2. Finely dice celery and onion. Core apple and cut into wedges. Roughly chop apple. Add celery, apple, onion, and cranberries to yogurt mixture; mix well. Can add chicken to half the vegetable yogurt mixture and chickpeas to the other half (to have both a regular and vegetarian option), or all of the chicken or chickpea to all of the vegetable yogurt mixture.
3. To toast almonds in a pan on low heat for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
4. Using a large spoon (or 3 Tablespoons) place one scoop of chicken or chickpea mixture onto each lettuce leaf. If desired, sprinkle almonds over chicken/chickpea mixture. Roll up and serve immediately. (If desired, 6-inch flour tortillas can be substituted for the lettuce leaves.)
Recipe based off recipe found here.